Legacy 5’s GED Preparation Course is designed to inform adults about the GED Tests and assist them in assessing their likelihood of success on the Tests. It will provide them with specific information about the Tests and with the opportunity to write all five of the Official Practice Tests: Language Arts Reading, Language Arts Writing, Social Studies, Science, and Mathematics. Adults receive feedback with each test written. Finally, after all the Tests are scored, students participate in individual discussion sessions with the instructor to determine their next step toward upgrading their education.
This course will direct adults to one of three options: writing the GED Tests, refreshing their skills by self-study and writing at a later date, or seeking academic upgrading.
For more information about the official GED tests, click here.
General Objectives of the Course
Following completion of the course, the adult will be able to:
- Demonstrate an increased level of confidence in his/ her ability to write the GED Tests.
- Improve their test taking strategies.
- Understand the nature and scope of the GED Tests and it’s growing recognition and acceptance by employers and post secondary institutions in Ontario, and elsewhere in Canada
- Become more knowledgeable of their academic strengths and weaknesses.
- Gain a better understanding of his/ her chances of passing the GED Tests.
- Choose the next step toward upgrading his/her education with confidence and increased certainty.
Unique Features of the Course
This course is designed for those adults who have not completed high school, but who have continued to learn through life and work experiences. It is taught by adult educators who recognize that adults come to the GED classes with considerable and varied prior learning experiences. This prior experience is not only a valuable and reliable resource, but also provides the framework of reference, which screens new information. The course is taught in an open and inviting manner to encourage discussion and academic success.
The course is generally offered in small class settings in adult centres or on company premises so that classes can be offered in an environment familiar to the adults, thereby alleviating the stress some GED candidates encounter when returning to school.
What Do Employers Want?
According to the Corporate Council on Education, a program of the National Business and Education Centre of the Conference Board of Canada, “employability skills are the generic skills, attitudes, and behaviours that employers look for in new recruits”. These skills are developed in school and through life experiences outside school.
A comprehensive study of skills required in the workplace and skills assessed by the GED Tests was conducted by Pelavin Associates in 1991. The results of this study are outlined in the column below. (You can also download a copy for printing.)
Do the Skills measured by the GED Tests relate to the Workplace?
|Assessed by Current GED Tests
|literal and inferential comprehension of reading passages
|locating details and facts within a text
|comparing and contrasting information
|recognizing cause and effect and predicting outcomes
|reading and interpreting charts, diagrams, and schematics
|evaluating quality and objectivity of information
|understanding job-related vocabulary
|writing standard English sentences with correct spelling, grammar, punctuation
|gathering and organizing information in a logical manner using paragraphs
|completing forms and applications accurately
|writing in a clear, concise manner
|adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing numbers
|using and converting decimals and fractions accurately
|calculating distance, weight, volume, area, and time
|converting from one measurement system to another
|computing costs and making change
|making estimates and approximations
|using simple formulae
|understanding and using elementary probability and statistics
|determining costs, time, or resources needed for a task
|calculating rations, proportions, and percentages
|Personal Management & Teamwork Skills
|Assessed by Current GED Tests
|learning how to learn
|good work habits (e.g. punctuality, ability to set and meet goals)
|positive attitudes/behaviours (e.g. honesty, motivation, willingness to accept responsibility, pleasant personality, willingness to follow rules)
* Some traits are addressed indirectly through the testing process. For example, examinees must arrive at the test site on time, must be able to follow rules, and must be motivated to take and complete the 5 tests within 7 hours and 5 minutes.
Employability Skills Profile. The National Business and Education Centre, Conference Board of Canada, Ottawa, ON, 1993.
Relationship of the GED Tests to Skills Needed in the Workplace. Pelavin Associates, Washington, DC, 1991.
Ged Preparation Materials
If you have registered in one of our GED Preparation classes, you will be provided with a textbook called the Complete Canadian GED Preparation. It is Canada's newest GED book The Complete Canadian GED Preparation Book published by Nelson Education Limited (ISBN 0-7747-1631-2). Unlike other GED preparation books, it is the only book that has been designed for the new Canadian GED Tests.
In our GED Mathematics classes we will be using the Casio f/x 260 Solar Calculator, the same calculator that is used for the Official GED Mathematics Test. If you are considering purchasing a calculator make certain it is the Casio f/x 260 Solar Calculator as it is the only calculator designed for the Official GED Mathematics + Test. This calculator is available at Radio Shack, Staples, Business Depot, Zellers and similar stores.
If you are having difficulties with the Mathematics questions requiring the use of the Casio f/x 260 Solar Calculator you might wish considering the purchase of Steck-Vaughn’s GED Calculator booklet. This 48 page booklet covers the fundamental concepts and skills measured by the calculator section of the Official GED Mathematics Test. You can order it in class or by email/phone. For students registered in one of our classes the cost is $ 10.00 including HST, for others it is $ 12.00 plus shipping and applicable taxes.
I recently authored an online GED Preparation software called GED Prep+. It is published by Pearson Canada. Included in this package are diagnostic tests for each subject and two complete full length GED Practice tests for each subject (a total of 530 questions). Available at Pearson Canada, Chaptors/Indigo and Amazon.ca
Registration & Fees
Course Fees – Cost of the course including textbook, portfolio, and learning materials is $ 249.00.
Please note that seating is limited and early registration is highly recommended. Registration may be done four ways as outlined below.
Register by Email – Download the registration form, open the file in MS Word, fill in the various form fields, save it, and then e-mail the completed MS Word file as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register by Telephone – Call us at 519-501-5379 and we will assist you with the registration process and payment.
Register By Fax – Download the registration form (pdf format), fill in the various form fields and Fax to 519-570-3730.
Register in Person
– details below.
You can register in person on the night of the first class at least one half hour before that class begins.
We recommend that you phone ahead to ensure that we have a space set aside for you.
Course Scheduling & Class Locations
- Kitchener - accessibleK.E.I. Training Centre (Kuntz Electroplating Industries), Plant # 6, 771 Wilson Avenue, Kitchener, Ontario N2C 1J1. If coming North from Fairway Road and Wilson Avenue go over the overpass passing Webster Street. The Training Centre or Plant # 6 is located at the second driveway on your right.
View location in Google Maps
- Kitchener - accessibleRockway Community Centre at 1405 King Street East, Kitchener. N2G 2N9.
View location in Google Maps
The classes are offered in the evenings on Wednesdays: Sept. 13, 20, 27 and OCT. 4, and 11. The first four classes are 6 pm to 9: 15, and the last class is 6 pm t o 8:30
- Good morning Jim. Got my results finally last night. Passed everything!
Thanks for everything, I am no longer a high school drop out!
Got my GED!!April 2017
I received my test results today for my GED and I passed . I just wanted to say thank you so much for all your help. My battery average was 682. I couldn't be happier.
Leslie L. lives in the Region of WaterlooDecember 15, 2016
- Hi Jim,
I have successfully passed my GED test!
I just thought I'd email you to express my gratitude for your services. I feel that you have not only guided me, but also gave me the confidence to apply myself to something I have put off for so long.
Jim Mitchell, Cambridge, Ontario February 2016
- Hello Jim,
I just wanted to thank you for helping me get my GED. I couldn't have done it without your help. Your class gave me the confidence and some really helpful tips, that made taking the test simple and stress free. Thanks again.
Jonathan Lawrence, Fergus, Ontario November 2015
- A.G. Simpson Co. Ltd, has used Legacy 5 for GED preparation with very successful results. We held 5 training sessions, 80 employees in total. These employees are demonstrating higher self confidence and significant improvements with their job specific documentation. Thank you Legacy 5 Consultants Incorporated.
Louise Waldeck - Training CoordinatorA.G. Simpson Co. Ltd., Cambridge, ON - August, 2002
- I wrote my G.E.D test up in Owen Sound on the 20th and 21st. of September, and have just today received my DIPLOMA in the mail! I wanted to let you know how I did, as I found your prep. course an invaluable tool for successfully writing the G.E.D test series. I scored very well on my essay with a 97% and I pulled off a 99% in science. I scored good in the other subjects as well. Thank you very much for your help, the information I went into the test with proved essential. I went into the exam and had no surprises or doubts, and as a result I could focus on the question at hand and use my time efficiently.
Thanks Again!!!! - Shawn MacKenzieSeptember 2002
- Jim was one of the most determined instructors I've had the pleasure of meeting. He truly is passionate about his students and their success in passing the GED exam. Thank you very much for your instruction, Jim. My application to University is almost complete and I hope to be actively pursuing a BA by the spring.
Malcom S. - Network AnalystJanuary 2003
- I wanted to thank you for your help in obtaining my Ontario GED Certificate, I am most certain that your preparation course significantly aided in my results.
James Wiens, Kitchener, ONNovember 2003
- I just thought I might write you a note of appreciation for your GED Preparation Course. I passed all my tests with my lowest score being 510 in Language Arts Writing. Your preparation was very accurate and helpful. Thank you for helping me open more doors.
Dwayne Frey, Moorefield, ON
October 2004 GED class
- I have had great success in dealing with Jim Barlow and Legacy 5. The study plans and one-on-one tutorials enabled my employees to successfully complete their 310T certification. Thanks again. We couldn't have done it without you.
Marc Poland - Laidlaw Carriers
- Thanks a million Jim! Your course and feedback were all I needed to earn my Diploma!!! With great marks too! Reading 95, Writing 99!!!, Mathematics 84, Science 90, and Social Studies 96. Thanks again Jim that's not bad for a 40 year old with a grade 8! Best regards and count on me to promote your program any chance I get!!
- I would like to say thank you Jim for the preparation course. It did help, especially with the writing portion. Good-luck and continued success.
Hoang LaiFall 2006
- I would like to say thanks to Legacy 5 and Jim Barlow for their hard work and dedication for the GED preparation class. His teaching is an art form that words cannot express. Thanks for make me relize that my potential is only skin deep as well as my desire to achive my goal. thanks for helping me in my next step in life.
Sincerly Michael Hawkes - GED Grad
- Thanks a lot Jim for making the G.E.D prep. course a comfortable experience. I know that the course enabled me to achieve much higher scores than i would have without it. Undoubtedly this will open doors for me.
Geoff Sawyer Paris, Ontario
- I'd like to thank you for the assistance you've provided our former workers. They are proud to have completed their GED (with your help) and have gone on to other courses such as Personal Support Workers, Medical Office Assistants and Paralegals.
Patti Courvoisier, Coordinator La-Z-Boy Employment CentreDecember 2006
- I received a late Christmas present and received my GED certificate. I just wanted to thank you once again for all your help adding me into your class late and pushing for the extra seats so that I could write the exam in December. You do a great job in preparing students for the exam. You make the situation as stress free as possible and at the same time leave nothing out. There were no surprises when I did the exam as you had prepared me for everything that I would encounter. If I hear of anybody that is looking to achieve their GED I will definitely have them contact you. Hope you had a great holiday season and all the best in the New Year
Thanks again, Jamie Diebolt
- After losing my job of almost 30 years and only having a grade 10 education, what was I going to do? I noticed that GED Preperation classes were being offered by Legacy5 at our BF Goodrich Action Centre. Tests terrified me, but Legacy5, helped to walk me through each course. Showing me my strong points and my weak points. This way I could study more on my weaker points and gain the confidence I needed to do the tests.
With Legacy5's help, I found the experience and confidence to excel, reaching the top 7% in Ontario in 2007 at age 48.
Thank you very much, Pat Schedler
February 16, 2008
- I would like to thank you for helping me finally achieve my GED. The strategies and teaching methods the course offers are very helpful and give you the confidence to write the test. In finally achieving my GED, this will open a lot of new doors for me. I would recommend this course to anyone looking to achieve their GED.
Thanks again, Dave AndrewsApril 29, 2008
- I attended one of the Legacy 5 GED Preparation classes last June 2007, and I wrote the GED the end of August 2007. I just wanted to let you know that I was recently offered employment with the Waterloo Regional Police Services as a Constable. I'm 43 and I've always dreamed of being a Police Officer, but due to dropping out of school in grade 12 and missing out on 3 credits I gave up on the dream. I did it, after writing the GED last year, I continued in my life long dream and as of August 2008, I will be starting on the Waterloo Regional Police force. I will be attending police college in September for 3 months and then will be sworn in as a Constable after that. I just want to say thanks for providing the programs for people like me to be able to see our dreams fulfilled, even after many years.
Thanks again, Paul HeathJune 21, 2008
- The 5 Prep Courses you held for us on site were a great success! Participants were very pleased with the instruction. Some individuals have already stated that once they write and pass their GED, they will be looking into other courses as well. On behalf of all the participants and the Committee, I wish to thank you for your efforts, and all the time you spent here.
Diane Wiebe, Coordinator The Action CentreFederal-Mogul Canada Ltd. Cambridge, ON - May 4,1999
- To the Adult Education Department of the Waterloo District School Board: I just want to make a comment about a GED preparation class I just completed with Legacy 5 Consultants Incorporated in a partnership with the Waterloo Region District School Board. The class was a very positive experience. I am thankful that I took the class. After taking these classes I feel confident I will do well on the GED tests. The teacher Jim Barlow was very informative. He had a warm demeanor, and was very effective. I will definitely pass this information onto others. Thank you very much for providing a great educational experience.
Tara Twidale, Cambridge, ONSeptember 20, 2001
Satisfied Customers include
- A. G. Simpson of Canada - Cambridge, ON
- Apparel # 1 Action Centre - Mount Forest, ON
- B.F. Goodrich Action Centre (United Steel Workers - Local 677), Cambridge, ON
- Campbell Co. of Canada, Listowel, ON
- City of Toronto's Works and Emergency Services
- CSL Silicones Inc. - Guelph, Ontario
- Davis+Henderson Partnership, Ottawa
- Federal-Mogul Canada Ltd. - Cambridge, ON
- K-W Workforce Action Centre, Kitchener, ON
- Kuntz Electroplating Inc. - Kitchener, ON
- La-Z-Boy Employment Centre, Waterloo, ON
- Laidlaw Carriers
- Moore Corporation Limited - Fergus, ON
- MTD Action Centre, Kitchener, ON
- Nexans Canada Inc. (formerly Alcatel Canada Wire) - Fergus, ON
- Waterloo Region District School Board - Kitchener, ON
- Wolverine Ratcliffs Inc. - Fergus, ON